Victoria - Colonial period: 1854-1900.
The Cowes (Westernport) line
.


There were several reasons as to why the area to Cowes should be opened to telegraphic communication. These include:

The Mornington Journal of 30 September 1885 reported as folows:

"As regards telegraph communication, the question of that between Melbourne and Cowes has been the most important line erected for many years.

The line has been continued from Cranbourne via Tooradin, Grantville, Bass and Griffith's Point, thence across the Eastern Passage to Cowes.

The wire has been suspended across the sea between the shores of Grifith's Point and Newhaven from two masts comprising each a lower and top mast at a total height from the ground of at least 160 feet, the span between the two top masts being about 620 yards.

As these masts were both erected on sandy soil, some doubt at first existed that they would stand the strain of the wire and the boisterous weather they were expected to encounter. Events have prosed that they are tight, staunch and strong and that the work was done well and faithfully by the contractor, Mr. T. Irving, under the superintendence of Mr. Deering in the Post Office Department".

In October 1901, it was reported that "the work of replacing defective telegraph poles on the line from Lang Lang to San Remo and Cowes is preceeding - the timber required being obtained from Mr. Coles' property".