Australia - International - AWA.
Coastal Radio Stations in Tasmania.


Call sign: VIH  
Opened: 30 April 1912. Closed:
Location: In the Queen's Domain high above the Derwent River below Mount Wellington.
Transferred to:


Flinders Island.

Call sign: VIL  
Opened: 8 October 1913. Closed: Closed soon after OTC took over in 1947.

Location: On Flinders Island in Bass Strait on the NE of Tasmania. It is the largest island in the Furneaux group.

This office was effectively the relay station for radio, telegraphic and cable traffic between Tasmania and Victoria on the mainland - and hence beyond. It was located on a high area suitable for the required wireless masts and was not far from Emita.

See also Flinders Island.

Two rubber oval date stamps were used in violet at Flinders Island:

The first format of the date stamp was inscribed WIRELESS TELEGRAPH STATION.

Used in violet: 1913 to
16 February 1925.

Size: 29 × 43 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.


Flinders 1914
3 September 1914.

Used on an office memo to the Deputy Postmaster General in Hobart.


16 February 1925.

See below for details of complete cover.

date stamp of 16 February 1925
(a very late usage before the inscription was changed

Also has a steel cds for EMITA - the nearest Post Office plus
a mss endorsement "Frm Flinders Is. TAS. No backstamps.

Provenance: John Avery.

Used in blue: 29 April 1916.

Size: 29 × 43 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

29 April 1916.

Used on a memo from the Post-Master General to the Deputy Post-Master General authorising £1 for conveyance of mails ex wrecked "Taroa" delivered overland.


The second date stamp was inscribed RADIO STATION/ FLINDERS ISLAND.

Used in violet: after 1925.

Size: 27 × 46 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

1 September 1933.

Flinders 1935 Jul
1 July 1935.




King Island.

Call sign: VZE  
Opened: 1911 then 1916. Closed: 1916 (abandoned).
Transferred to:

An Australian radio pioneer - Father Shaw - constructed the first station on King Island as an experiment. In 1916, the Australian Goverment built a station of its design to fit into the Coastal Radio system and Father Shaw abandoned his project.

From 1941 to the end of World War 2, the King Island station was involved with the Air Intelligence Reporting System.

By the time OTC took over the station in 1947, the use of the station for monitoring ships had ceased and the station simply collected traffic from other islands in Bass Strait.