Telegraph Offices on the Echuca (Northern) line.

Includes the Inglewood Branch although Inglewood Telegraph Office is part of the Swan Hill line.


The line of electric telegraph was extended from Inglewood to Bridgewater in June 1877 and the Telegraph Office was opened.


The Telegraph Office was opened in December 1858.

Echuca was originally named Hopson's Punt but changed in 1855. It is directly across the Murray from the NSW town on Moama which had been the Victorian Post Office of Maiden's Punt from 1848 to 1855 when it was transferred to NSW. That Post Office changed name to Moama on 1 January 1858. Unfortunately the Post Office was destroyed by fire in December 1861. The Moama Telegraph Office in NSW was opened in October 1864.

The Telegraph Office was issued with two Belt & Buckle date stamp:
  1. a one hole format was used in black from 17 May 1882 to 16 December 1889.
Echuca 1885
21 November 1885.
Ech 84
28 August 1884.
Rare use on a 5/- Stamp Duty.
Provenance: Freeman, Johnstone.
  Echuca 1893
10 July 1893 on a 2d Stamp Duty pair.
  1. a two hole format was used in black from 25 January 1890 to 11 July 1893.
The Echuca Telegraph Office was also issued with three types of rubber double oval date stamps. They had two different inscriptions at the top.
  1. Post & Telegraph Office

Used: 1920.

Size: 27 × 45 mm (e = 0.80)

Rated: RRRR.

  1. Telegraph Office (RO2-TO).

Used: 19 December 1957.

Size: 30 × 50 mm (e = 0.80)

Rated: RRRR.

  1. Telegraph Office (RO2-TO).

Used: 13 June 1966.

Size: 29 × ?? mm.

Rated: RRRR.

  1. Telegraph Office (RO2-TO).

Used: 3 August 1988.

Size: 28 × 47 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Echuca 1988
3 August 1988.

The fight for a new Post and Telegraph Office in Echuca continued for years. For example, the Riverine Herald (published in Echuca) of 16 May 1876 reported:

"We understand the deputation that waited on the Postmaster-General last week, with reference to the new Post and Telegraphic Offices in Hare Street, received a very favorable reply to the request made. Without being considered to take an ungracious view of the subject, we must confess that it is now about time the government took some steps to provide the town with these conveniences, namely suitable offices for the Post and Telegraph Departments. The promise made was that the site should be fixed in accordance with the wish of the majority of the towns people and that, when this was ascertained, the work would be proceeded with. There can be no doubt now as to the public opinion with regard to the site being in Hare Street (ed: the site of the old State School) and it only remains for the government to fulfil their part of the promise made".

A special telegram was sent to The Argus in Melbourne and the text was published on 5 March 1879
(p. 4) which said:

With reference to the Kellys, our Echuca correspondent telegraphed last night:
"The four horsemen who have lately been seen in the neighbourhood of Kerang have been proved not to be stockmen, and it is believed by many that they are the veritable Kelly gang. Over 20 troopers are searching the country where they were last seen '."


The Post Office opened on 1 January 1849 as Bertram's Inn. It changed name to Campaspie (1850), to Runnymeade (1864) and Elmore (1882).

There were no special date stamps issued for use with telegrams.

A Telegraph Office opened at Elmore Railway Station in 1911. It was reclassified as a Post office in 1915 and closed in 1916.


The railway line linking Sandhurst and Echuca was opened in 1864 but was located 4 miles from the developing community at Goornong. That placement forced the town to move so that they could be serviced by the rail - and the Post Office opened to a new location in 1864.

The town developed considerably. The Argus of 23 February 1876 reported (p.4) that "a  deputation from the residents of Goornong, a township on the railway line between Sandhurst and Echuca, yesterday waited on the Postmaster-General, and presented a numerously-signed memorial, asking for the establishment of a telegraph office at that place. As it appeared that there was a considerable amount of postal business done with Goornong, Mr. Ramsay promised, if the Minister of Railways would arrange to have some one appointed to the station who under stood telegraphy, to open an office at once".

The Telegraph Office was opened in September 1877.

About that time, there were four hotels in operation. There were also another six hotels within a five mile radius. A police station opened in 1875.

Goornong is now one of the smallest towns in Australia with 250 people.

There were no special date stamps issued for use with telegrams.

A Telegraph Office opened at Goornong Railway Station in 1911. It was reclassified as a Post office in 1915 and closed in 1916.


A Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station. Unfortunately the Station was not used as frequently as had been expected and so, as reported in the Bendigo Advertiser of 21 December 1892, "that as the traffic at the Huntly railway station did not warrant them in keeping a man in charge there they had decided to place a woman in charge of the station. The telegraphic facilities afforded by the station were, the letter further stated, a matter for the consideration of the Postal department".



The Post Office opened on 23 September 1878 and the Sheridan Post Office on 1 September 1884.

On 8 April 1886, Kyabram was renamed Kyabram East and Sheridan was renamed Kyabram - in advance of the railway line coming through.

In February 1893, the Gazette called for tenders for new Post & Telegraph Offices at Kyabram.

The home of Henry Jones and IXL Jams.

Kyabram Post & Telegraph Office about 1910.


The Telegraph Office opened at Ravenswood on 19 November 1929 and closed on 17 December 1963.

The Post Office had opened on 15 November 1858 and was renamed Ravenswood Railway Station Post Office on 15 April 1884.

A T.O. date stamp was issued to the Office for use with telegraphic work - with T.O. following Ravenswood.

Used: 13 September 1928 (?).

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRR (only known archival).


The Telegraph Office was opened in May 1875.

The Post Office opened on 11 May 1863 and the railway passed through in 1864.


Rochester is the birthplace of Sir Hubert Opperman the famous Australian cyclist born in 1904.

RochesterPhotograph from Wikipedia taken by Wiki User Mattinban - one of a large number of his excellent contributions of a variety of Australian architecture and scenes.

The office was issued with a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH date stamp (RRH1 - TO).

Used: 15 March 1963 - 18 March 1963.

Size: 29 × 44 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Rochester TO
15 March 1963.
Used on AA-DO-13B.


The first Post Office in the area opened on 27 April 1878. In 1882 it was renamed Kanyapella and a new Tongala office (presumably offering postal and telegraphic services) opened to the south. This latter office was renamed Tongala East in 1908 and a new Tongala office in the town replaced the office at the Tongala Railway Station office.

In 1878, residents were happy to be getting a school and had long term aspirations of some day having a rail connection.

Tongala is east of Echuca and north of Kyabram. It is probably on a telegraph line linking Shepparton to Echuca.


Tongala 1943
Tongala - usual postal date stamp.
27 March 1943.

Used on AW-DO-9 (42).