Victoria: 1854 - 1988.
Telegraph Offices on the Swan Hill line.

A selection of some of the Post & Telegraph Offices on the Swan Hill line are shown below together with examples of date stamps used on telegrams.


The Office was created by renaming the office at Emberton in 1867.

A Telegraph Office was also established at the Railway Station but this was closed in January 1922 and the duties absorbed into the Post Office.

It appears that the office was issued with a T.O. Barfold date stamp although a strike has never been seen nor recorded. Instead, a date stamp with a space before Barfold - sufficient to accommodate T.O. - is recorded:

Used: 13 February 1913 to 1 October 1947.

Size: 27 mm diameter.
Has 4 and 4.5 mm side arcs for separation.

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 3.

Barfold TO
5 November 1914.
Barfold 1934
31 December 1934.
11 November 1941.

The Telegraph Office opened in January 1857.


The Castlemaine Railway Station served as a Telegraph Office from 1910 before being reclassified a a Post Office in 1915. It reverted to a Telegraph Office about 1940 and was closed about 1950.

Castlemaine P&T Office pre-1910.
Cattlemaine 1st
The original Telegraph Office used from 1857.
Source: NLA jcoo4307.
Pre 1894
Castlemaine pre-1894 showing the P&T Office clock tower.
About 1870
Castlemaine about 1870.
About 1899
Castlemaine about 1899.

A 1 hole Belt and Buckle date stamp was issued to the office.

Used in black: about August 1884.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Castlemaine B&B
11 August 1884.
Very rare use on 1/- and 4/- Stamp Duties.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.

The usual postal date stamps were used on telegram forms.

Both of the date stamps shown to the right were struck on telegram delivery forms.

Unframed Castlemaine date stamp
24 August 1896.
Framed Castlemaine date stamp
13 October 1904.

Cowan's Tank.

Opened as a Post Office on 17 October 1927 and was reclassified as a Telegraph Office on 1 December 1942.

The Office was closed on 10 June 1949.

A steel circular date stamp for postal and telegraphic use is reported to have been used between 3 March 1933 and 30 June 1941. It is rated as RR.

The date stamp shown here preceeds that early date by over 3 years.

Used in black: 4 December 1929.

Diameter: 30 mm.
4 mm side arcs.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

4 December 1929.

The Telegraph Office opened in August 1859.

Dunolly Electric Telegraph Office and Post Office in 1860.

Photographer: G. H. Jenkinson.
Source: State Library of Victoria H26124.

Durham Ox.

The Telegraph Office opened in June 1876.


A five mile line was constructed as a branch line from Sandhurst in 1871 and a Telegraph Office opened in October.

Telegraph facilities were also made available to the public at the Railway Station from 21 June 1882.

Eaglehawk Post & Telegraph Office in 1923.
The old building.

The Telegraph Office opened in .

The Gisborne Post Office opened on 22 March 1850 as Bush Inn but changed its name 10 days later. The Post Office at New Gisborne (3 kms to the north east) opened on 1 September 1861.

In September 1879, the P&T Department wanted to move the Post and Telegraph Office at (New) Gisborne to the Railway Station. This proposal was met with community opposition especially on the grounds that it would be "a danger to children who went sent for letters and who would be obliged to cross the line at the risk of life".

Hamilton Street, Gisborne in the late 1890s.
Glenalbyn (near Wedderburn).

The Post Office was established at Glenalbyn Railway Station on 20 January 1886 and was renamed Glenalbyn about 1910. The office was closed on 31 January 1973.

A T.O. Glenalbyn date stamp was issued to the office:
  1. Used in black: 17 April 1930 to 14 October 1949.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: R.

Glenabbyn TO
13 August 1935.
  1. Used in blue: 28 September 1949.
  1. T.O. removed.

Used in black: 17 December 1951 to 19 March 1957.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: RRR.

  1. Short date stamp version (T.O. removed)

Used: 20 November 1959 to 15 May 1962.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: RR.



Gold was first discovered at Inglewood in 1859 with a major find in 1860. The 1860 find caused the town to move slightly south and it was called "New Inglewood". In that year, Post Offices were opened at both Inglewood and New Inglewood. The Telegraph Office opened on 25 October 1861.

In 1862, a fire destroyed the commercial precinct in New Inglewood. but it is not known if the Telegraph Office was destroyed.

By 1865, about 40,000 people were in the town and the surrounding area.

On 24 May 1880, the Bendigo Advertiser reported on the visit by a Ministerial party to Inglewood. "The hon, Mr. Bent, Commissioner of Public Works, accompanied by the Mayor and Borough councillors, visited the Post and Telegraph office, which was found to consist of a large commodious and rather neat looking wooden building and to the casual observer would seem to be all that was required in that direction by a town like Inglewood. But a great objection is that, not only does it swallow up considerable sum yearly of public money in repairs, but from its inflammable nature stands in great danger of being at any moment swept away by fire. In the event of such a calamity occurring, documents, etc., might be destroyed which no money could replace. This was laid before Mr. Bent and a suggestion made that the Government should erect a new brick building, the Council joining and agreeing a town hall in conjunction therewith. The hon. gentleman promised to carefully consider the matter, but did not seem impressed with the necessity for a new post office while the present building stood".


The Telegraph Office opened in August 1863.


The post-1884 Post & Telegraph Office at Kerang.

Kerang Post & Telegraph Office in 1910.

The Kerang Times of 19 August 1884 reported on the condition of the Post and Telegraph Office as follows:

"Any time during the past five years, the people of Kerang have been expecting to see a post office built in the town. Before the lease of the building originally held had expired, steps were taken to induce the Government to build a place of their own; but, though the principle was agreed to, no action was taken. Finally, the department had a brief notice to quit. After some difficulty a place was obtained wherein to carry on the business - though at one time it was feared the shelter of a defunct blacksmith's shop was the only place available.

The accommodation in the present building is wretched in the extreme. A small room, about ten feet by twelve, is set apart for the transaction of the whole of the business under the charge of the postmaster - viz., postal, telegraph, money-order, savings bank, etc., while the accommodation for the public is simply intolerable.

The businesss transacted at the office is not small:

  • every week 255 mails are received and despatched. This in itself is no small item;
  • in addition, as may be gathered from the Post Office Report for 1883, during that year 3,465 telegraph messages were transmitted, giving a revenue of £209; the amount received during 1882 being £192;
  • during last year 674 money orders - representing a value of £1,980 were issued; and, during the same period, 442 - value £1859 - were paid;
  • there was also an increase of savings bank accounts - the total being 71; while the operations amounted to 191 deposits and withdrawals - being a money value of £1,892.

In every instance there is an increase of business compared with the previous year; and it is naturally expected, from the progress of the town, that business will show a much larger increase next year.

About two years since, a sheet of drawing paper was exhibited on which were sundry lines and squares. These were said to represent the plan of the proposed new building. Whether during the time that has elapsed since then anything has been done about making a drawing of the elevation is difficult to say, but the existence of the latter suggests the absence of the former. The time for shifts and subterfuges has past, and the department, without any further delay, should commence active operations with a new and suitable building".

A 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to the Post & Telegraph Office at Kerang.

Used in black: 1888 to 2 May 1893.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

7 April 1893.

Cover to Poschiavo, Italy.
Provenance: Freeman, Johnstone.
B&B covers used to foreign destinations are rare - 3 exist (see also Beaufort and Prahran).

Use on a ½d pink wrapper to Melbourne. Kerang 8 April 1893
8 April 1893.
2 May 1893: latest recorded use of a Kerang Belt & Buckle.

A 1 hole Kerang Belt & Buckle date stamp used in black as an arrival backstamp on a Letter Card sent from Swan Hill.


Kerang May
Additional examples of usage. Kerang 1899
9 April 1899.
Kerang B&B
23 July 1890.

Used on 1½d letter card for local delivery.

A rectangular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
(RRH1-TO) was also used at Kerang:

Used in violet: 18 January 1967 to
13 September 1968.

Size: 26 × 42 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 4.

13 September 1968.
Usual postal date stamp also used on telegrams. Kerang 1936
5 June 1936.



The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1857.

The Post Office had changed its name from Mount Macedon on 1 January 1854.

Kyneton Vert
Kyneton Post & Telegraph Office about 1920.
Kyneton hor
Looking towards the Post & Telegraph Office.

The following types of date stamps were issued to the Kyneton Office:

  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle used .

Used in black: 1884 to 20 March 1890.


Rated: RRR.


  1. A circular rubber TELEGRAPH SECTION (RC1 - TS) date stamp.

Used in violet: 8 April 1990.

Size: 35 mm diameter.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Kyneton 1990
8 April 1990 - presumably archival.

The usual postal date stamps were also used on telegrams: Hyneton unframed
10 August 1897.

Unframed date stamp used on

Kynet 1937
23 October 1937.

2 long arcs.
Used on AB-GC-34B.

The Argus of 23 May 1864 reported on the honesty of the Telegraph Messenger as follows:

"it appears from the Kyneton papers, that a gentleman who dropped a pocket-book containing notes and cheques to the value of £70 in the middle of Mollison Street, opposite the post-office, was fortunate enough to recover his property not long after. The pocket-book, it appears, after lying for half an hour or so exposed in the street, was picked up by the telegraph messenger, and restored to the owner, on his calling at the post office, as the last place at which he had occasion to make use of the lost book. The fact that the tempting prize lay so long undisturbed, is a strong proof of the quietude of Kyneton streets".




On 4 February 1859, Mr. Aspinall asked the Commissioner of Public works when an Electric Telegraph Station would be provided at Maldon. The answer stated that "no funds had been provided on the Estimates but that provision would be made and no time lost in accomplishing the work".

So true!! A public notice from Mr. S. McGowan dated 22 August 1859 announced that telegraphic communication had been opened to Maldon and that the Telegraph Office was then opened to the public.

Maldon Post & Telegraph Office.

A 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was used at the Post & Telegraph Office.

Used in black: 5 July 1889 to 5 February 1894.

Size: 28 × 40 mm (e = 0.71).

Rated: RR.

1890 cover
10 March 1890.

Jl 12
12 July 1889.
Maldon 1894 Jan 1
29 July 1893

5 February 1894.
(latest recorded date).

4 January 1893.
Detail from the cover at the right.

Maldon BB
4 January 1893.
Belt & Buckle applied to a cover with a 2d embossed image.


The Telegraph Office opened in October 1865.

A Telegraph Office was also opened at the Railway Station in 1889 but later closed. It was reopened about 1910 and closed about 1916.



Merbein is next to Mildura.

The Office was issued with a rubber oval Telegraph Office at some stage.

Used: (14 March 1989).


Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

14 March 1989.
Archival strike.



The Telegraph Office opened




Mildura 1890
Mildura Post & Telegraph Office 1890.

Post and Telegraph Office at Mildura about 1900.

The Office was issued with five types of rubber date stamp for use with telegrams:
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-TO).
    It appears as if the outer line is thick not doubled.

Size: 28 × 48 mm (e = 0.81).

Used: 15 April 1931 - 9 September 1931.

Rated: RRR.

Mildura 1931
15 April 1931.
Used on AB-DO-5.

Mildura Sept 9
9 September 1931.
Used on AB-DO-8A.
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RO3 - P&TO) - 1 mm side arcs.

Size: 29 × 46 mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 14 February 1952.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Mildura RO3
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RO1 - P&TO).

Size: 29 × 46 mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 26 November 1959 - 30 April 1960.

Rated: RRR.

Mildura RO1 1959
26 November 1959.

Mildura P&T
30 April 1960.

  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RO1 - P&TO).

Size: 30 × 48 mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 28 February 1963.

Rated: RRRR.

RO2 1963
28 February 1963.
  1. a rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH date stamp (RRH1-T).

Size: 29 × 50 mm.

Used: 6 November 1972 - 12 October 1981.

Rated: RR.

Mildura 1972
6 November 1972.
Used on Confirmatory delivery envelope

Mild RRH1 1981
12 October 1981.

In addition, the usual postal date stamps were used on telegrams:

Mildura dup
Mildura duplex with date stamp and barred numeral 1620.
30 October 1908.
Mildura 1923
Mildura -
usual postal date stamp.
11 August 1923.

Diameter: 26 mm.
Used on AE-DO-2C and AE-EO-1.


The Mincha Railway Station changed name to Mincha in 1902. The office closed on 1 April 1977.

A T.O. Mincha date stamp is recorded:

Used: 27 May 1932 to 17 April 1959.

Diameter: 28 mm.

Rated: Scarce.

Number in the Census: 12+.

Mincha 1932
27 May 1932.
Earliest recorded date.
Mincha 1933 Kooka
26 October 1933.
Mincha 55
23 April 1952.
  Mincha 1959
17 April 1959.
Rare on cover.


A Receiving Office was established at Bumbong about 1924.

It was renamed Robinvale on 1 August 1924. It was then upgraded to a Post Office on 14 July 1926.

It has Euston as its sister City which is located on the other side of the Murray River in New South Wales.

No special date stamp was used for telegrams. Instead the usual Post Office date stamp was used.

Unclear date - used in 1947.
Serpentine (Creek).

The Telegraph Office was opened in September 1873.

The town was established as Serpentine Creek in 1863 and the Post Office was opened in 1868, In 1917, the name was changed to Serpentine.


Swan Hill.

The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1863.




Two date stamps were issued to Swan Hill for use with telegraphic matters:

Swan Hill
Swan Hill Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
  1. A 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used: 1893.


Rated: RRRR.



  1. A rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RRH1-TO).

    Used in violet: 5 September 1984 (only recorded date).

    Size: 29 × 41 mm.

    Rated: RRR.

SH rubber 1984
5 September 1984.


The Telegraph Office opened on 30 November 1861.



The Telegraph Office opened on 18 November 1860. The delay after the line had been completed on 1 November was occasioned by "the decease of the late manager at Tarnagulla occasioning a temporary interruption to the business of the office".

Rarnagulla 1900Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office about 1900.


Tarnagulla modernTarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office - modern photograph.
The Office was issued with a 1-hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.
  1. Used in black: 4 July 1887 to 2 December 1893.

Size: 27½ × 38 mm (e = 0.69).

Rated: RR.

Tarna 1887
4 July 1887 - earliest recorded date.
Tarna vert
21 November 1892.
Tarna pair
4 May 1892 on a pair of 1d brown Naish design.
Tarna 1893
8 June 1893
Dec 1893
2 December 1893 - latest recorded date.
  1. used in blue: 22 October 1889 to 14 February 1890 and in 1892.

Size: 27½ × 38 mm (e = 0.69).

Rated: RRR.


Tragowel is south of Kerang. The Telegraph Office was opened in May 1878 while the Post Office was opened in June 1878. It closed on 3 November 1976.

The office was issued with a T. O. Tragowel date stamp:

Used: 29 August 1910 to 22 August 1960.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 6.


Tragowel 1921
8 March 1921.
Tragowel 30s
January 193?
  Tragowel 1952
5 June 1956.

20 June 1958.


On 26 July 1897, the Argus reported on a public meeting at Woodend protesting the transfer of the Post Office to the Railway Station. The meeting also asked that a Post & Telegraph Office be opened at Woodend. The Chairman of the meeting sarcastically remarked that "the Government should also remove the police quarters to the railway station and the public would have but one locality to visit on any business".

On 10 December 1897, the Woodend Railway Station was burnt to the ground. The fire started in the refreshment room.

The Telegraph Office opened

The Woodend Post & Telegraph Office.