New South Wales:
P&T Offices on the first line to Queensland (1861).


The Post Office had opened in Armidale on 1 March 1843.

A Telegraph Office was opened (somewhere) on 14 October 1861.

Tenders were let on 19 August 1862 to Mr Edward Grover for the erection of two buildings for the two offices.

The Telegraph Office was not combined with the Post Office until 1 January 1889.

Armidale Post &Telegraph Office (about 1905).

The Armidale Express of 7 December 1861 reported: "It has been suggested to us that, as the Armidale office is a repeating station between Brisbane and Sydney, there should be an additional assistant provided here to ensure the prompt receipt and despatch of telegrams connected with Armidale. We think favourably of the idea, as we imagine that telegraphic business between Brisbane and Sydney must at times be very extensive. Probably an application, signed by the parties mainly interested, to the Superintendent of Telegraphs would receive due consideration".

In 1869, a telegraph line was constructed by a Mr. Edmonson to Armidale from Port Macquarie via Kempsey. It entered Armidale via the Grafton Road. By 13th March, the line had reached the Table Land in New England and passed over the River Styx range. It appears to have been completed about 14th May and Mr Cracknell (of the Telegraph Department) was scheduled to arrive to inspect the line in late May.

The Armidale Express of 21 July 1921 claimed that: "The Armidale telegraph office is now regarded as the most important country office in the State. It is not only the main repeating centre between Melbourne, Sydney, and-Brisbane, but occupies an important position in relation to most of the North Coast and North offices. A good illustration of this fact occurred during the recent floods. Though it meant that some of the staff had to remain at work all Saturday night and Sunday, the Armidale office was able to keep communication intact between the Northern and Southern capitals and also preserve connection between the metropolis and the North Coast".

Telegraph Offices were also opened at:
  • the Armidale Racecourse from 1914 to 1966 - but it was only open on race days;
  • the Armidale Railway in 1883. This office closed on 15 May 1958.
Armidale 1930
Armidale Post & Telegraph Office (about 1930).
Four types of hand stamps were issued to the Armidale Office for use with telegraphic work:
  1. an ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH double oval date stamp (RO7-ET):

Used: 11 April 1892 (only recorded date).

Size: 24.5 × 44 mm (e = 0.69).

Rated: RRRR.

Armidale oval

11 April 1892.
Used on NC-DO-9A.
  1. a type 2C steel circular TELEGRAPHS ARMIDALE date stamp (SC1-T).

Used: 1926 to 1942.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: RRR.

  1. Two other versions of a Type 2C date stamp were also available between 1917 and 1949 and these were mainly used on telegrams.

  1. an ARMIDALE straight line handstamp.

Armidale SL
11 April 1892.
Used on NC-DO-9A.

The only TELEGRAM slogan cancellation recorded as having been used at Armidale is SEND A TELEGRAM. The only recorded example of its use is on 12 September 1939.

Boonoo Boonoo.

A Telegraph Office was probably established at Boonoo Boonoo - about 23 km north of Tenterfield - during 1861. As it is not listed in official records, the station was probably a Repeating station although the distance from Tenterfield was very short. A Receiving Office was not opened until 1 June 1887 and it was converted to a Post Office on 15 July 1899.

The Courier (Brisbane) of 31 December 1861 carried the following story:

"During the storm of Thursday afternoon last, the lightning struck the telegraph office, knocking Mr.Fitzroy off his stool and completely fusing the wires of the relay thereby putting a stop to all communication till a new one arrives. The report was distinctly heard by several parties at a distance. Mr. Fitzroy started yesterday morning for Armidale in order to procure a new relay, if possible, so that we cannot have telegraphic communication for eight days at the least".

Glen Innes.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 20 December 1861. It was combined with the Post Office on 1 January 1870 but then separated on 1 July 1872. They were combined again on 8 April 1873 and remained together.

The Post Office had opened in Glen Innes on 1 August 1854.

Glan Innes 1900

A two story building was constructed in 1890. Its design has been associated with the NSW Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon.

No special Telegram date stamp was issued

Glen Innes 1908

Glen Innes.

Type 2A(T) datestamp on a pair of
1d Arms of 14 April 1908.

Glen Innes Rail.

A Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station on 14 September 1909.

It closed on 31 October 1961.

A circular rubber date stamp was issued to the Office.

Used: 31 December 1954.
Only recorded example.

Size: 22 mm with 5 mm side arcs.

Rated: RRRR.

GI Rail
31 December 1954.

The Sydney Morning Herald of 7 June carried the following: "Notice is hereby given, that the Electric Telegraph Office at Morpeth is now open for the receipt and transmission of Messages, in accordance with the authorised rates and regulations".

Sydney, 2nd June, 1860.

The Telegraph Office combined with the Post Office on 1 January 1870. The Post Office had opened in Morpeth on 1 August 1838.

A second Telegraph Office was also opened on 14 September 1894 but its date of closing is unrecorded.

Morpeth P&T office about 2008.
Source: Wikipedia.

The Telegraph Office opened on 12 June 1861 - apparently in the local Hospital!! It merged with the Post Office on 1 January 1870 but separated again in the following year (on 15 June 1871) only to combine again on 16 December 1888. The Post Office had first opened on 11 May 1837.

The Telegraph & Post Office in the late 1800s.

On 7 June 1862, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that the Government had announced "the plans for a telegraph office at Murrurrundi were not yet ready". In the same issue, the Herald reported on a Parliamentary question as follows:

Mr. DANGAR asked the Secretary for Public Works

1. When tenders will be invited for a telegraph office in Murrurundi?

2. Is the Government aware that the portion of the hospital now used as a telegraph office is required for the accommodation of the sick of that district?

Mr. ARNOLD said it had been referred to the Colonial Architect to prepare plans for a telegraph office at Murrurundi.

A tender to complete the Telegraph and Post Office was advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald on 16 November 1863.

The new design.

Murrurundi Railway Station.

A Telegraph Station was also opened at the Murrurundi Railway Station with a change of name from Haydonton Telegraph Office on 1 October 1896.

This office was closed in 1926.


The Sydney Empire of 17 December 1861 reported on the discussion in the Legislative Assembly the previous day:

Mr. Dangar asked the Secretary for Public Works:

  1. if any arrangement had been made by the Government with Mr. Henry Nowland of Muswellbrook, for the erection of a telegraph office there at his own expense.
  2. If erected by Mr. Nowland, what amount of rent have the Government agreed to pay him annually for such office, and for how many years?
  3. Is it usual for private parties to build telegraph offices for the Government  where such are established, or about to be?

Mr. Arnold said a proposal had been made by Mr. Henry Nowland to build a telegraph office but no  arrangement had been come to.  


Muswellbrook 1881
Muswellbrook P&T office after opening in 1888. The previous building is at the left rear.

The Telegraph Office had been opened on 11 June 1861 and "acceptance of the tender by Mr. Henry Nowland for the erection of an Electric Telegraph Station" was gazetted on 10 March 1862. The Telegraph Office combined with the Post Office on 1 January 1870 but separated on 15 September 1871. They then recombined the offices on 1 July 1887.

The Post Office had opened on 27 September 1837 with the name MUSCLEBROOK but changed its name to MUSWELLBROOK on 1 January 1840. It is one of the oldest post offices in NSW.

Mail to Muswellbrook came from Sydney to Morpeth and then by coach. A letter from Sydney cost 1/-.

A Telegraph Office was also opened at the Muswellbrook Railway on 14 September 1894 (a long time after the railway had commenced operation there in 1869). This office was closed at a now unknown date but it reopened on 1 September 1928. The Telegraph Office at the railway station was finally closed on 31 May 1966.


A Telegraph Office was opened on 11 January 1860. It was not combined with the Post Office until 19 January 1901.

The Post Office had opened in Newcastle on 1 March 1828.

Telegraph Offices were also opened at:

  1. Newcastle Railway Station (1894 to 1972);
  2. Newcastle West (1889).
Newcastle Post & Telegraph Office.
Scanned from a Macleods postcard used in 1905.
A rubber oval date stamp - unrecorded before June 2022 - was used at Newcastle:

Used: 24 September 1894.

Size: 38 × 48 mm (e = 0.61).

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Inscription at the top: "NEW SOUTH WALES".

24 September 1895.
Used on NC-DO-10Ba.
Basic postal datestamp for Newcastle. Used on telegram delivery forms and would have been used to cancel stamps affixed to transmission forms to prepay telegram costs (although never seen).

Ordinary type 2A date stamp -
with side arcs but no full stop after the W.

Newcastle 1900
3 October 1900.


Four formats for date stamps were issued to the Newcastle Post and Telegraph Office for use with telegraphic matters:
    Has City and State at the base.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Used: 4 January 1907 - 13 April 1911.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 4.

4 January 1907.

Used on NI-DO-5A.

Newcastle 1911
13 April 1911.
  1. A steel circular TELEGRAPHS NEWCASTLE date stamp type 2C
    (RC1 - T) with a break between NEW and CASTLE to form two words for NEWCASTLE.

Used: between 1926 (??) and 1985.

Size: 30 mm diameter.

Rated: RR.

Newcastle 1938
22 January 1938.

  1. A steel circular TELEGRAPHS NEWCASTLE date stamp Type 2C (SC1 - T) with NEWCASTLE as one word.
    Has 1 mm side arcs and a full stop after the W.

Used: between 1940?? and 28 February 1985.

Size: 30 mm diameter.

Rated: NC.

New detail
4 June 1945.

New cover
4 January 1945.

Newcastle 1977
8 June 1977.
Newcastle 1985
28 February 1985.
  1. A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1-T).

Used: 27 January 1973 (only one example is presently recorded).

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Newcastle RCT-1
27 January 1973.
Used on a Prepaid Telegram reply voucher.

Five TELEGRAM slogan cancellations are recorded as having been used at Newcastle:

  1. SEND A TELEGRAM - used from 31 October 1934 to 22 April 1937 (7 recorded).
  2. TELEGRAMS: SPEEDY, RELIABLE, EFFECTIVE - used 28 January 1941 (1 recorded).
  3. A TELEGRAPHIC CODE ADDRESS ... - used with both boxed and circle date stamps between 3 May 1964 and January 1969 (5 recorded).
  4. 100 YEARS OF TELEGRAPH SERVICE - 1854 - 1954 - used 7 April 1954 (1 recorded).
  5. OVERLAND TELEGRAPH CENTENARY - used 22 August 1972 (date of issue) to 1 September 1972
    (4 recorded).
Send 1934 SEND A TELEGRAM slogan cancellation.

Used at Newcastle 31 October 1934.

Earliest recorded slogan at Newcastle.

Circular date stamp with
N.S.W. at the base.

100 Years of
Telegraph Service
1954 - 1954.

Used at Newcastle: 7 April 1954.

Die 1.

Only recorded example of this slogan used at Newcastle.

Circular date stamp with
N.S.W. AUST. at the base.

Newcastle Railway.

The Telegraph Office at the Railway Station opened on 14 September 1894 and closed on 1 August 1872.

Two date stamps are recorded as being used at the Railway Office for telegrams:
  1. a rubber oval date stamp (RO6-TO) with N.S.W. R. Newcastle/ Telegraph Office. Only one example recorded and it is recorded used in violet.

Used: 29 February 1940.

Size: 28 × 36 mm (e = 0.63).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Newcastle Rail
29 February 1940.
  1. a steel circular NEWCASTLE RAILWAY TELEGRAPH OFFICE - 1955" date stamp type 2C (SC1 - TO).

Rated RRRR.

Never seen.

Newcastle West.

A Telegraph Office was opened at Newcastle West on 29 August 1889 and became a P&TO on 6 September 1889.

Newcastle West Post & Telegraph Office in 1889-1890 (soon after opening).

The Office was issued with a rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T):

Used: 3 February 1956.

Diameter: 33 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Newcastle West
3 February 1956.

Used on AO-DF-56.
Unrecorded in Hopson & Tobin.


The Scone Telegraph Office opened on 10 May 1862 and merged with the Post Office 31 December 1870.

The Scone Post Office was established on 1 January 1839 when the Post Office at Invermein (8 km from Scone), which had opened on 1 January 1833, was relocated to Scone and the name changed. Mails were exchanged between Scone, Muswellbrook and Singleton by coach.

Scone 1872
Scone Post Office in 1872. Probably also housed the Telegraph Office.
Source: NLA C4076 HN142B

Scone coach
Mail coach outside the Post Office about 1905.
Scone 1905
Scone P&T Office - new building - about 1905.
Scone 1908
Scone P&T Office - after the renovations - about 1910.
Shows the Commonwealth Memorial Fountain.

Scone pole
Erecting the telegraph pole outside the Post & Telegraph Office, 1908.
A new combined office was planned and tenders accepted in 1878.
The original building was replaced by a two story structure and a design modification also required the construction of a kitchen and stables at the rear. This work was not completed quickly and the new office was opened for business on 23 June 1897.
Scone 1910 detail
Scone P&T Office about 1910 - detail.

An interesting interchange reflecting social and economic condisions of the time occurred in the Legislative Assembly on 14 August 1864:

"Mr. Dangar said he never expected that the telegraphs or the railways, would be at first paying oonoerns but they were constructed for the benefit of the public, and were no doubt of immense advantage to the country. He drew attention to the low salary of £25, which had been received during the last two years by the officer at Scone. He did not see why this young man should not be paid a salary equal to the salaries paid to the other twenty-four officers. He took the office on condition that he should be promoted and he had, for the last two years, attended at the office from nine in the morning till six in the evening.

Mr. Holroyd said the hon. member for Scone had put rather a glowing face on the matter to which he had referred. This obscure place called Scone had but a very limited telegraphic correspondence. ('Oh, oh," and laughter). This young gentleman was appointed on the hon. member's own recommendation. His father was postmaster - the telegraphic instrument was on the postmaster's premises and this young gentleman devoted a portion of his time assisting his father in the store. The working expenses of this station were very little more than the salary paid. It was the intention of the Superintendent of Telegraphs to remove this young gentleman at no distant period. The hon. member's protege was not forgotten".


The Telegraph Office was opened on 25 February 1861. This office was combined with the Post Office on 1 January 1870.

The Post Office had originally opened as Darlington on 1 September 1829. It closed on 31 December 1831 but reopened on 21 May 1832 and changed its name to Singleton on 1 January 1841.

A Telegraph Office was also opened at Singleton Railway Station in 1883. That office closed on 30 November 1967. It used a type 3(i) datestamp of SINGLETON RAIL

Singleton 2

The Singleton Argus of 8 May 1942 carried the following historical announcement:


Miss Daphne Lambkins this morning entered the employ of the Postmaster-General's Department, and throughout to-day has been busily engaged in delivering telegrams to various parts of the town. Miss Lambkins is the first female telegraph messenger in the history of Singleton and is one of the few serving in a similar capacity in the Commonwealth".

The same building after renovations - date not recorded.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 10 October 1861 "after the receipt of a congratulatory message from the Secretary of Public Works". It merged with the Post Office on 8 October 1870.

The Post Office opened on 1 January 1840.

In 1876, the Superintendent of Telegraphs (Mr. E. C. Cracknell) recommended splitting the Tamworth Post and Telegraph offices. The ensuing alleged corruption created an interesting debate (p.3) in the Legislative Council.

Another Telegraph Office was, however, opened 2 km. away at West Tamworth on 21 February 1879 - the same day on which a Post Office was also opened in the same building. The two offices were independent.

Tamworth new
Complicating the Tamworth situation further, the Sydney Morning Herald for 17 March 1880 reported on a public meeting held the previous day in Tamworth "respecting our present post and telegraph office. The Mayor presided and the following resolutions were unanimously carried:
  1. That the Government should provide a suitable building for the Post, Telegraph, Money Order and Savings' Bank Offices, the present buildings being perfectly inadequate to carry on the business of this rising town;
  2. That the Government be applied to erect suitable buildings for the purpose;
  3. That the Postmaster-General be invited to Tamworth to select a site for the proposed new offices.
  4. That the chairman forward a copy of the foregoing resolutions to the Postmaster-General".

Tamworth was first to install electric street lights in Australia - in 1888.

about 1900Tamworth P&T Office about 1900. Peel St
Peel Street, Tamworth looking towards the Post Office.
A steel circular type 2C TELEGRAPHS TAMWORTH date stamp was issued to Tamworth for use with telegraphic business.

Used: 1927 to 1958.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: Scarce.

Tam Tele 1935
26 April 1935.
On a receipt for Registration.

The same date stamp was used but with TELEGRAPHS removed:

Used: 1970 to 1973.

Rated: RR.

Tamworth also used the usual postal date stamps on telegrams.

The example shown at the right is a very early use of a postal date stamp on a telegram.

Later the postal date stamp then current was used.

19 December 1879.
Used on NC-DO-7Aa.

Given that Tenterfield was the site for the inter-colonial connection, it is surprising that no Telegraph Office was ever opened to the public in Tenterfield. The opening date for use of the office was 8 November 1861. At first, it was staffed mainly by Queensland officers. On 1 September 1863, tenders closed for "completing building for Electric Telegraph Office, Tenterfield".

The Post Office had opened in Tenterfield on 1 January 1849.

During a thunderstorm in November 1872, several articles in the telegraph office were set on fire by lightning. A turret clock costing £300 was installed in the Post & Telegraph Office in 1890.

Sir Henry Parkes delivered his famous Federation Speech in Tenterfield on 24 October 1889. It is claimed that this speech re-opened the discussion which led to Australia's Federation in 1901.

Tenterfield Tenterfield Post Office. The building was first established in 1881.
It is now on the Register of the National Estate.
Tenterfield Railway Station.

A Telegraph Office opened at the Railway Station sometime after October 1884 and closed on 31 March 1961.

A steel circular TENTERFIELD RAILWAY type 2C date stampwas issued to the office:

Used: 1954.


Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census:

Tenterfield RS
Tenterfield Railway Station where a Telegraph Office operated until 1961.
Tenterfield 1930
Type 2A datestamp with side arcs
but no full stop after W.
Tenterfield roo
Type 2A datestamp with side arcs but no full stop after W.

Printed in red ink on 2/- Roo which was a common high value rate on telegrams.

Werris Creek Rail.

The station was opened as a temporary station in 1878 but the present station was opened in 1880 when the main northern line was extended from Quirindi to West Tamworth - see elsewhere.

There are no known dates for the operation of the Telegraph Office.

The Office was issued with three date stamps although only the first had a reference to Telegraph:

Used: 1 February 1955 (only recorded example).

Size: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Werris 1955
1 February 1955.
Wiseman's Ferry.

Although the first line to Queensland went through Wiseman's Ferry, a Post & Telegraph Office was not opened until 25 January 1886. It is not presently known if a repeater station had been opened at Wiseman's Ferry although probably not.

The Post Office had been opened on 1 January 1857.

Wisemans ferry

The Telegraph Office was opened on 3 March 1860 while the Post Office had opened on 1 January 1839. The two office were combined on 10 July 1882.

Tenders closed for the construction of a new Post and Telegraph Office on 1 June 1892. In 1900, general repairs and renovations were carried out on the Post and Telegraph Office at Wollombi. The buildings were also painted and the roadway at the side was formed to improve the approach to the buildings.